The following article will provide information on how calendar sync works for students and career center users, and will also provide detailed steps on how to setup calendar sync.
12twenty supports calendar sync via Google Apps or Office365. This is a paid feature, so please contact your 12twenty account manager if you would like to add this service to your site instance. Direct integrations with Google Apps or Office365 require zero development work/configuration. 12twenty will enable this feature and users can begin authorizing their calendars to sync immediately.
How 12twenty's Direct Integration with Google Apps and Office365 Calendar Sync Works
Please note: All 12twenty appointments will sync to your personal calendar with 1 way sync - appointment blocks will only sync if you enable that specific setting.
1-way Calendar Sync (12twenty to Personal Calendar)
With 1-way calendar sync, students will be able to automatically sync registered events, booked advising appointments and scheduled OCI interviews. Career advisers will be able to sync booked advising appointments and appointment blocks.
- Important Rules to Know:
- When the user initiates calendar sync 1-way, all events in the future are synced. No past events are synced.
- The user's "Default" calendar is the calendar that 12twenty syncs to, the user cannot choose which personal calendar to sync to
- If the user stops syncing, all of the events remain on their personal calendar, and syncing will no longer occur from that point forward.
- That being said, simply by toggling "sync advising appointment blocks = no," will not remove historical or future blocks from your personal calendar. You would need to do one of two things:
with 2-way sync enabled, delete the blocks in 12Twenty, which will remove them from your personal cal OR
remove the blocks from your personal calendar
- All events in 12twenty are stored in UTC, so your personal calendar will show the event in the time zone setup by the user for their personal calendar.
- For appointments, note that we also send an .ICS file attachment to both the career adviser (if applicable) and the student. Some calendaring systems like Google automatically add the calendar event to the user’s calendar when it receives emails with .ICS file attachments, thereby obviating the need for one direction (12twenty - school) of the calendar sync.
Please note: not all personal calendar events will sync to 12twenty via 2-way sync. Only events that touch/overlap 12twenty appointments/blocks will be brought over.
2-way Calendar Sync (Personal Calendar to 12twenty)
With 2-way calendar sync, students will be able to sync events from their personal calendar to their "Interview Availability" calendar, which is used for scheduling OCI interviews. Career advisers will be able to sync events from their personal calendar to their advising appointment calendar, in order to prevent students from booking advising appointments during a time when they already have a personal appointment.
- Important Rules to Know:
- When the user initiates calendar sync 2-way, events 1 week in the past and 1 year for Office (5 years for google) in the future are synced.
- The user's "Default" calendar is synced, the user cannot choose which personal calendar to sync
- Reoccurring events are supported in both Google and Office365, including busy/free configuration settings
- If the user stops syncing, all of the events remain on the users 12twenty calendar, and syncing will no longer occur from that point forward.
- Busy/free settings are respected. If the user changes an event to "Free" on their personal calendar, then the event will be removed from their 12twenty calendar.
- All events in 12twenty are stored in UTC, so your personal calendar events will be synced to 12twenty in the the time zone setup by the user for their personal calendar, and stored as UTC.
- Personal calendar events will only be synced to 12twenty if they overlap an adviser’s appointment block availability
How to Configure Calendar Sync for your Account
To configure your 2-way calendar sync between 12twenty and your Google Calendar, please follow the below steps.
Step 1 - Once logged in, click on the Person Icon in the bottom left corner of the page, and then select “Account Settings”.
Step 2 - Click “Authorize” under the Calendar Sync section and select the Google or Office365 account you wish to sync with 12twenty
Step 3 - After the account has been connected, select the "Edit" link next to "Calendar Sync" to configure your calendar sync
Pro Tip: When 2 way sync is enabled, calendar events from your personal calendar will display on the Appointments calendar in 12twenty.
The shield icon indicates that the details of the calendar event are only visible to the synced user. Other users simply see an "unavailable" block.
To remove all future personal calendar events from your 12twenty calendar, navigate to your Account Settings and set the "Sync from my personal calendar to 12twenty" setting to No. You will be asked to confirm the change, and once confirmed the system will clear all future personal calendar events from your 12twenty calendar.